Bike to Work Day: Friday, May 21, 2021
All Siouxland residents are encouraged to ride their bike to work. The SIMPCO Bicycle Pedestrian Roundtable will be giving away great prizes for those that register and participate. Register today by clicking on the green button below. Bike to Work Day activities include a commuter breakfast from 7-9 am at Albrecht Cycle Shop, opportunity to win prizes, as well as receive dining and drink specials.
Did you know that More than half of all Americans live less than five miles from where they work according to Bicycling magazine and only 1.67% of American commute by bicycle compared to 15% in Japan.
Benefits for Employees
Biking to work has many benefits for your employees.
- Improved health and fitness: Biking is a low-stress, low-impact exercise that can be performed by people of all ages and fitness levels.
- Saving money: The only fuel you need is food! Cut your insurance costs by driving fewer miles in your car too!
- Easier & less expensive parking: With the proper locking device, you can park your bike safely much easier; you can park your bike closer to your destination and for free.
Benefits for Worksites
Biking to work also has many benefits for your worksite.
- Save money: healthier employees leads to saving health insurance saving. If you currently pay for parking, consider rewarding employees who ride their bike instead.
- Improved productivity: healthier happier employees lead to improved productivity throughout the day.
- Improved morale: employees who arrive via bike are more alert and relaxed.
Encourage your employees to commute to work via bike and start a bicycle commuting program at your worksite. Bike Iowa’s Employer Reference Guide can help.
Learn more at The League of American Bicyclists and Bike Iowa.
Siouxland Bike Friendly Employers
Bikes are good for businesses their employees. SIMPCO’s Bike Ped Roundtable awards an Bike Friendly Employer award annually in May to businesses for their efforts on providing a more welcoming atmosphere for bicycling employees, customers, and the community.
List of Recipients:
2016: Wells Dairy
2017: Crary Huff Law Firm – Read the Crary Huff Bike Success Story
Honorable Mention: LaunchPAD Children’s Museum, Springboard Coworking, and Unity Point Health St. Luke’s
2018: Western Iowa Tech Community College – Read WITCC Bike Success Story
Applications are available annually in March and awards are announced in May.
What to know how you can become a bike friendly employer? Start by implementing some of our tips!
For more information on getting involved in Bike to Work Week activities in the Siouxland area, contact Angela Drent at 712-279-6119 or email@example.com.
Leave the Keys, Bike Instead